Coconut-Ginger Golden Beet & Carrot Soup
- 1 lb golden beets, washed and peeled
- ¾ lb yellow carrots (or orange), peeled and diced
- 1 medium-sized yellow or Spanish onion, chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cups organic low sodium broth or water
- 2 Tbsp. olive or coconut oil
- 1 tsp. turmeric (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp. dried sage leaves
- 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
- A dash yellow curry powder (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh herbs to garnish (optional)
- Preheat over to 350F. Cut golden beets in half and lay on a baking sheet. Roast beets in oven for up to 45 minutes. Check at 25 minutes and flip (if need be).
- Preheat large pot with olive or coconut oil on medium heat. Add in garlic and ginger to start, followed by the Spanish onion. Once onions are translucent, add in carrots. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
- Add in broth or water and bring to a boil. Once boiled, bring to a simmer for up to 1 hour to allow the flavours to absorb. Before simmering, add in turmeric, sage leaves, basil leaves, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- After an hour, set aside and let cool for 10 minutes. Place all contents of pot into a high-speed blender or use a hand-blender to blend all ingredients until smooth. Add in coconut milk and blend.
- Garnish with chopped fresh herbs.