What Exactly is a Food Sensitivity?
A food sensitivity is an immune system response that is triggered by a particular food we consume resulting in the formation of proteins called IgG antibodies (mainly). When we have an excess of these antibodies in our system it can cause inflammation in our body, resulting in a variety of symptoms such as digestive upset, joint pain, skin concerns, migraine headaches, weight gain, anxiety, and more.
- Food Sensitivities are NOT the same as a Food Allergy.
- Food allergies are IgE mediated reactions and cause bodily responses such as hives, shortness of breath or anaphylaxis.
- Food sensitivities are usually caused by foods that are eaten regularly
- Food sensitivities can produce an overwhelmingly large number of immune complexes which result in an inflammatory response systematically or locally in our body
- You can sometimes have a delayed onset of symptoms that could be felt hours to days after the food has been consumed.