Moving your Bowels
Not everyone likes talking about “bowel movements” (BM’s), but sometimes the best way to know how the machinery is working, is by the product that it’s making (and how often). Optimal digestion is free of any symptoms including heartburn, bloating, excessive gas, cramping, etc. and you need to be having a bowel movement EVERY DAY. If you are not, please let us help… this is a big deal! This is your body’s way of eliminating fat-soluble toxins and anything else it’s trying to get rid of that you don’t need in your system (excess cholesterol, hormones, etc.). If your stool sits in the colon, these things can then be re-absorbed – instead of removed from the body. For your liver, this is so annoying! All of that hard work and it has to deal with this junk all over again? You can also think of it in terms of how often you take your garbage out of your house… now picture the state of your home if you took it out half as often (that’s a BM every other day)… how about less often than that? We can’t always see or feel the toxic build up of constipation but to our body, the affects are real.
– 1-3 times per day
– soft, formed (mainly in one piece), easy to pass
– no pain, mucus, or blood
– not cracked or pebble-like, not fluffy or like saw-dust, and not thin
– medium brown in colour (not green, yellow, or grey, etc)
– no undigested food
– sink in the bowl (not floating)
– no ‘marks’ left in the bowl once flushed away
– dehydration can be a cause of constipation as the colon will draw water from the stool to try to support a dehydrated body leaving the stool… dry, hard, difficult to pass. Most people need to aim for at least 1 cup per 20lbs of body weight in the day (herbal tea counts!)
CHIA SEEDS – these little seeds are amazing for adding softness to the stool as their soluble fiber is on the outside and it forms a gel-like consistency when in liquid. Most adults could add 1 tbsp to their daily routine (1 tsp in kiddos) in smoothies, sprinkled on top of salad, stirfry, oatmeal, nut butter, etc. or as ‘chia pudding’. You must be properly hydrated when adding in fiber!
DR. LAUREN’S DIGESTIVE TEA – this delicious blend is not only hydrating and anti-inflammatory, it promotes proper digestion and gut motility without being a laxative. It also helps to reduce gas and bloating.
DAILY BLENDER JUICE RECIPE: 1/2 – 1 apple, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 cup baby spinach, few fresh mint leaves (or 1 cup Dr. Lauren’s Digestive Tea), + 1 tbsp chia seeds, 2 cups water (including tea if you used that), + ice. Blend & Enjoy 🙂
If you or your child has trouble with constipation…